Caring for Photography Collections
Spring Art & Antique Insurance Newsletter
AXA Tips: Caring for Photography Collections
Here are some tips from our friends at AXA Art Insurance about caring for photographs.
When Transporting Artworks:
- Make sure that the vehicle is large enough to accommodate the artwork and its packaging.
- Make sure the works are professionally and correctly packaged for shipping.
- Avoid using inexperienced art handlers.
When Framing, Hanging and Storing:
- Make sure your artwork is protected with archival framing.
- Glass vs. Plexiglas? Glass is easier to clean and care for but when it breaks, it can destroy artworks. If the photograph is of high value choose the added safety and protection of Plexiglas.
- Always protect art from heat and direct sunlight. Never hang expensive art over a fireplace.
- Use appropriate picture hangers for artwork, which are available at professional framing stores.
- Avoid storing works in basements. If you must, be sure to keep the artwork at least 3 inches above the floor.
When Dealing with Insurance:
- Keep your insurance company updated with the current values of your artwork. This should be done yearly or when there are significant changes in values.
- Confirm coverage for the work includes shipping and transportation coverage.
This and more tips on the Johnsonese Brokerage Spring Art & Antique Insurance Newsletter:
No comments posted.